According to the U.S. Administration on Aging, by 2030 there will be approximately 72 million people aged 65 years and older, more than twice the number in 2000. In our youth obsessed culture, there is a lot of anxiety about aging. Many people will face their later years as solo agers. Fears about aging or facing death and dying alone are painful for many.
Aging is indeed challenging... yet it is also a time of great opportunity for spiritual, emotional and psychological growth.
Over the course of four years, IONS developed the Conscious Aging workshop to address these challenges and opportunities. We found that seniors are yearning to engage in dialogue together on these issues. They are looking for guidance, meaning making, connection and community to help fortify themselves for their aging years. Out of this experience IONS created the Conscious Aging Facilitator Training program.
The Conscious Aging Facilitator Training Program provides facilitators with all the resources they need to market, set up and conduct the 8-session IONS Conscious Aging workshop series in their local community. Successful completion results in becoming an IONS Certified Conscious Aging Facilitator for the period of 1 year (annual renewal required for continued certification -- see below).
IONS Certified Facilitators have a unique role to play in helping elders explore the bounty and challenges of their senior years. In presenting the Conscious Aging workshop series in their own communities, the goal is to build a safe and creative space for people to explore the gifts of later life, develop strategies to alleviate the stressors of aging, and foster and relish accrued strengths and wisdom.
The Conscious Aging program is based in part on the research and practices described in two of IONS' seminal books: Consciousness and Healing: Integral Approaches to Mind-Body Medicine, and Living Deeply: The Art and Science of Transformation in Everyday Life
Field-tested across a broad range of practitioners and settings, this self-paced, self-study program is designed for those who have experience in facilitating groups as a practitioner or community volunteer, especially active or retired social workers, psychologists, MFTs, counselors, ministers, trainers, faculty, coaches, community group leaders, group facilitators, and nurses.
People assume that the solutions we’re seeking come from outside ourselves, but it’s important to recognize that some of the problems—as well as their solutions—arise from within us. In other words, it’s about consciousness.
The focus of the Conscious Aging workshop series is to invite shifts in consciousness away from self-limitation, lack, isolation, and fear and toward expansiveness, inclusiveness, wholeness, connection, and compassion.
IONS Certified Conscious Aging Facilitators guide workshop participants as they:
- Explore their unexamined, self-limiting beliefs and assumptions about aging and learn to make better choices about how to age more consciously;
- Develop the skills of self-compassion to cope more effectively with the stresses associated with aging;
- Discover what has given heart and meaning to their lives and how that can enrich their intentions for a healthy aging process;
- Identify the regrets, sufferings, and negative self-concepts that have kept them from more fully appreciating themselves and their lives;
- Minimize any feelings of isolation from others and deepen their relationship with the world around them;
- Learn to manage their fears and those of their loved ones in the presence of death through the transformative power of surrender and acceptance; and
- Cultivate a personal roadmap for their own aging journey by deepening their spiritual life and learning to make each moment matter.
We have found that seniors are yearning to engage in dialogue together on these issues. They are looking for guidance, meaning making, connection, and community to help fortify themselves for their aging years. They will experience all of that and more by participating in this unique program.
As an IONS Certified Conscious Aging Facilitator, you may charge for your workshop, or you may offer it to your community for free -- it's completely up to you!
We do ask that our graduates agree to purchase a Conscious Aging Workbook from IONS for each participant in the workshops you conduct. This Workbook ensures that all participants receive standard information on the topic. You may charge fees to cover the workbook cost if you so choose. We offer the books to IONS Certified Conscious Aging Facilitators at a wholesale price of approximately $15 USD per unit.
- Facilitator Core Training - This module includes instructional materials for facilitators-in-training (or for later review from those who are certified)
- Facilitator Certification Test - Facilitators-in-training may access this module when they complete the Core Training module
- Additional Study Resources - This module include readings, websites, and videos to supplement your Conscious Aging offerings.
- Support & Marketing Materials - This module includes audio and video archives from support teleseminars and webinars, materials for your workshop, and marketing resources, surveys to gain insight from facilitators and facilitators-in-training, and more.
Core facilitator training material and completion test
The foundational training that prepares you to offer the conscious aging workshop in your community
Templates and handouts to help you promote your offerings
Archive of webinars & teleseminars
Additional training and support to to assist in your development as a facilitator
Membership in our private Facebook Facilitators group
Connect with other facilitators to get support for your own workshop delivery
Additionally Certified Facilitators receive:
Facilitator directory listing
Certified facilitators are listed on the online map in the IONS website
Workshop website listings
Share your scheduled dates on the IONS website
Workshop email listing
Share your scheduled workshops in our monthly Events Newsletter, which is sent to IONS mailing list of over 60,000 people!
Subscribers who successfully complete the core training material and completion test, and who are in compliance with the Benefits & Responsibilities of the program may use the designation, "IONS Certified Conscious Aging Facilitator" in their marketing materials and workshop offerings!
Certification is valid for one year, and may be continued annually with successful completion of renewal. See the Benefits & Responsibilities document for current certification renewal information.
This course is approved to provide 9 hours of Continuing Education for qualified professionals. Please make sure that our accreditation will work for your license.
American Psychological Association
CEs for psychologists are provided by The Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) which is co-sponsoring this program. SCRC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. SCRC maintains responsibility for its programs and their content.
California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal by LCSWs and MFTs for programs from CE approved sponsors of the American Psychological Association. LCSWs and MFTs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.
For questions about APA CE credit, visit www.spiritualcompetency.com or contact David Lukoff, PhD at firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 763-3576 .